Here's an excerpt of an email I sent to the school principal a few weeks ago:
Our family is looking at a potential remote work opportunity for the month of January ... We would have to book this trip now but of course there’s a lot of uncertainty about what’s going to be happening with school at that time. It’s a perfect opportunity if school is still online. It’s a challenge if everyone is back to school full time.
I just wanted to have a quick phone conversation with you about this matter to see what you might know and what accommodations we might be able to make for the kids‘ schooling.
The "remote work opportunity" is of my own creation, a euphemism for "I need an adventure!" The idea came to me during a (metaphorical) pandemic fever. It was born out of the frustration of being stuck at home for months on end, having had to cancel all of the wonderful trips we'd planned prior to Covid. The one that hurt the most was an amazing Egypt adventure, which in addition to obligatory pyramids and sphinxes had featured an exotic cruise down the river Nile.
Eventually, I came up with an argument that Mega Mom found convincing: If we're all working or studying remotely, why can't we do that from anywhere? Why can't we rent a house in a warm place for a month and move our life there? She considered it. She spoke to the one person that can tell her what to do (the founder of her company). Then, she cleared it. Yes!
Meanwhile, the junior members of the Pine Adventure Team are on a hybrid plan that involves some days of in-person schooling. After I sent my email, the principal graciously agreed to allow them to go full virtual (if we're not back full time after the holidays). The plan is on!
Recently, I learned there's an official term for what we are attempting to do: "Work From Paradise" (WFP). A month is a long time to live abroad — the longest we have tried. A new adventure at last!

No comments:
Post a Comment